State and Federal Resources

State and Federal Resources

State Resources

From skidder bridges to current use, EAB to market reports, you’ll find links and information to assist you in doing your job as a consulting forester.

On the legislative front S.160 includes four sections of interest for foresters, forestry businesses, and landowners:

  • forest carbon marketplace development legislative work group
  • FPR logger safety curriculum
  • grants for value-added forest products industries to navigate the permitting process
  • repeal of the sunset of the sales and use exemption for advanced wood heat

Also of interest is H.82 that added traction enhancement accessories to the Vermont Sale And Use Tax Exemption list for forestry.

Consistent with legislation passed this year, as of July 1st, the recording fee that municipalities charge has increased from $10/page to $15/page.   When submitting a Current Use Application Form, the total due has increased from $90 to $100.  The fee for the CU-302 Additional Owners Form has increased from $10 to $15.  The Current Use Advisory Board has reviewed and passed these changes.  The forms on the Department of Taxes website and the eCuse system have been updated to reflect these changes.

Worker’s compensation for logging contractors: Landowners count on consulting foresters to manage timber sales and timer contracts. Are your logging contractors properly insured? As changes in laws make workers’ compensation more affordable for loggers and help to ensure greater safety, you’ll want to stay abreast of all changes. Register now for a webinar Online, July 23rd, 9:30 – 10:30 AM to learn about the Vermont Logger Safety and Worker’s Compensation Insurance Program.  This webinar will introduce the program, share new online resources, and outline the role of foresters, landowners and contractors in verifying and documenting proper worker’s compensation insurance for logging contractors and subcontractors also working on the site.

Tools and resources to assist you in your work

Skidder Bridge Rentals: FPR has several heavy-duty steel temporary truck and skidder bridges available for rent. They can span from 20 to 35 feet and are rugged enough for log trucks or skidders. The rental cost is $100 per month, and FPR requires a $500 refundable deposit and proof of insurance. In addition, you can still rent temporary wooden skidder bridges from Natural Resource Conservation Districts around the state. You can find out more information about the bridge rental program at our AMP website.  If you have any questions, contact our Watershed Forester, Dave Wilcox by email or at 802-793-0265.

Markets and Tariffs:  Since the introduction of tariffs on Chinese goods by the US and retaliatory tariffs on US good by China, there have been shifts in markets. Two recent articles tell much the same story.

Read Retaliatory Tariffs Hit Lumber

Read China Hardwood Tariffs

Shifts in County Forester Work Areas:  To improve the distribution of UVA related workloads, new work areas for county foresters in Southern Vermont have been established.  If you work in these areas, this will affect which county forester you would work with on private lands.

ANR’s Zoom to SPAN feature will get you where you want to go

EAB Detections: It was only a matter of time. The news was that EAB has been detected in Bristol, the first confirmed in Addison County.  On the heels of this announcement, there has been a new detection in Derby Line, the first confirmed in Orleans County. Forest landowners, homeowners, logging contractors, municipalities, and utilities in the infested area should evaluate the options available to them to protect their ash resources and immediately implement Vermont’s “Slow the Spread” recommendations while referring to and, where necessary following, current use guidelines.

“Zoom to SPAN” Feature: On the VTANR Atlas there is a “zoom to SPAN” function.  It searches the SPAN field of the parcels and if there is a parcel with that SPAN, it’ll zoom the map there. From VTANR Atlas, click the “tools” in the upper right of the map view, then you’ll see a series of tabs beneath the banner at the top of the page.  Click “Navigation,” then “Zoom to SPAN.”  Enter a SPAN in the field provided and click “ADD.

Federal Resources

Do you use USDA’s Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) for  access to cost-share funding through EQIP (Environmental Quality Incentive Program)? This funding is made available through the USDA 2018 Farm Bill, authorized by Congress. While it can be cumbersome to navigate, it can also assist your clients in completing work on the ground that improve the health of the forest.  If you are not a Technical Service Provider for NRCS, visit For Consulting Foresters to learn how to get certified.

For information on Conservation Practices, visit the NRCS website.