Benefits of Being a Member
If you have questions, give us a call at
“I joined VWA to learn about and support good stewardship of Vermont woodlands, both for timber and habitat. As the owner of 41 acres of land in southern Vermont, with 35 acres forested, my goal is to provide good quality habitat for native mammals, birds and amphibians while also managing the forest for timber. The Vermont Woodlands Association and the VT Tree Farm Program, and the Woods Wildlife and Warblers programs that they sponsor, have been valuable in networking with forestry professionals, providing workshops to identify and manage invasive species, and sponsoring educational “Walks in the Woods” with foresters and loggers.”
“When I purchase my first farm and woodlot in 1980, I had many offers from loggers to harvest my timber for fifteen years. I had little forestry knowledge and wanted to do the right thing. So incorrectly thinking that it was the best thing, I did nothing. In the mid 90’s, I hired my consulting forester, Ross Morgan to help out. He suggested that I become a Tree Farmer and join the Vermont Woodlands Association. Ross and the Vermont Woodlands Association programs and its helpful members turned out to be the perfect prescription for my woodlots with regard to wildlife, aesthetics, timber, recreation and water. I would recommend a membership in the Vermont Woodlands Association to anyone with any size woodlot as an inexpensive but valuable investment in their woodlot and keeping Vermont Green.”
Donate to Us Via PayPal
We appreciate the support you provide. By using the PayPal option you don’t need to wait for the annual appeal. Send your donation at any time to help us maintain our Voice for Healthy Forests.
Sponsor Us on Amazon Smile
Do your Amazon shopping at smile.amazon.com and select VT Woodlands as your charity of choice. The AmazonSmile Foundation will donate 0.5% of your purchase to us. What a great way to support us!
Donate from Your 401k
If you are 70 and a half, and you are required to take Required Minimum Distributions from your Individual Retirement Account, consider designating VWA to receive a qualified charitable contribution.
Donate Stocks / Equities
You can turn your portfolio investments into contributions. We gratefully accept donations of stock to be sold at market value and added to our investment portfolio in a fund or endowment. Contact us to learn how.
Vermont Woodlands appreciates the support you provide. Through your generosity, we have been able to advance our goal of being “A Voice for Healthy Forests.” As a member-centered, locally led organization, we depend upon charitable contributions, membership dues, and program revenues. As the need of private forest landowners to have a voice in many different matters increases, your support becomes even more important.
There are so many ways that you can support us for today or for the future.
We understand that charitable giving is a choice and that many organizations compete for your contributions. We hope that Vermont Woodlands is among the organization you choose to support.
If you choose to make a contribution to Vermont Woodlands, we have several different funds as well as donor-advised endowments. Our funds are designed to help us manage current operations and support current programs. Our endowments will ensure a financially healthy future. You may designate where you’d like your contribution to be invested.
Funds have accessible principal, which the Board may use at its discretion. These include:
- The Annual Fund for day-to-day operations
- The Emergency Reserve Fund
- The Working Capital Fund, a holding fund in an interest bearing account to be used to supplement general operations, as required
- Bizzozero Tree Farm Fund to support Tree Farm activities; spending limitations outlined in agreement with Bizzozero family
- NEW! Robertson Tree Farm Operations Fund to support Tree Farm administrative costs and other activities; spending determined by the Tree Farm Committee
Endowments are invested to preserve capital and encourage growth and income, while minimizing investment management costs. The Board may not spend principal. Endowment contributions may be made to any of the following:
- Executive Director Donor-Restricted Endowment: income to be used to support the position of Executive Director.
- Upton Wildlife Donor-Restricted Endowment: income to support programming dedicated to wildlife purposes, at Board’s discretion.
- Vermont Woodlands Memorial Endowment: Restricted endowment permanently owned by VT Community Foundation; income distributed annually to VWA to be used at Board’s discretion
Vermont Woodlands funds and endowments are managed by Kings Point Capital Management, LLC in Great Neck, NY
How can you make a contribution?
- Write a check to Vermont Woodlands and mail it to us indicating which fund you wish to support
- Use the Donate button on our website to contribute online
- When you turn 70-1/2, you must begin to take Required Minimum Distributions (RMD) from your Individual Retirement Account. Read the article on RMDs by VWA treasurer Trevor Evans to learn how he supported VWA with A Charitable Contribution from his IRA.
- Create a Charitable Gift Annuity or Trust for the benefit of Vermont Woodlands
Do you love to meet people? We have lots of opportunities for ‘schmoozing’ with other members and the public. Staff our booth at one several shows and events we do during the year.
- Annual Vermont Farm Show
- Vermont Woodlands Annual Meeting
- Addison County Field Days
- Vermont State Fair in Rutland
- Tree Farmer of the Year Tour
- … and others.
Become a Vermont Woodlands Ambassador to help us grow stewardship.
Do you love to show off your stewardship? Would you like to host a Walk in the Woods on your property? Or, perhaps just visit with a neighbor to talk about your woodland management. We’d be happy to help you plan and promote an event or just send you materials you can use for one-on-one personal conversations. Give us a call or email so we can help you.